Wednesday, January 25, 2012

You Can Run but You Can't Hide

Recently I had a conversation with a friend of mine.

Me: You feel like an adult yet?

Him: No, I don't want to.

Me: It's inevitable.

Him: I can be an adult without feeling like one.

Me: For awhile, yes. But then one night it will hit you when you realize you can't go see The Girl With the Dragon Tatoo cause it's 2 hours and 38 minutes long and it doesn't start until 9pm.


That's my reality. I am an adult, and I most definitely feel like one. I'm reminded every morning when I look at the puffy, dark circles under my eyes and the wrinkles on my face that weren't there 5 years ago.

I give him props for thinking he can forever feel young. After all, he is still in his 20's. But don't you worry, my friend, one day you're going to look at yourself and think, dear God when did it happen? Maybe it will be a night when you're out with friends and you look around and discover you're the old guy at the bar. Or maybe it will be the morning after a late night drinking, you wake up feeling like death and realize your body can't handle it quite like it used to. Possibly it will hit you when you debate whether or not to call the cops on the noisy college kids partying on their porch too late in the evening. And if by some chance you don't have a scenario that is your Aha moment, I guarantee one day you will look at yourself naked in the mirror and see things that make it impossible to not feel like an adult. Metabolisms go, things shift and wrinkle, gravity takes over. This is inevitable.

No comments:

Post a Comment