Thursday, March 29, 2012

Who the Eff is Boba Fett?

The time has come. I must come clean. I do not know the first thing about Star Wars. I have never seen a single movie in its entirety.

I will pause for the gasps of shock to subside.

Throughout my childhood, I do remember seeing bits and pieces, but I guess I was just too busy swimming in our pool or cutting the grass or plotting attempts to run away from home with my sister to watch one from start to finish.

Which brings me to now, 2012, where my 3 year old knows more about Star Wars than I do.

My daughter is a Star Wars...what's the word for those people who are die hard Star Wars fans, oh right...nerds. That's right, my 3 year old princess loving daughter is a Star Wars nerd. The Darth Vader action figure her aunt and uncle gave her in lieu of flowers at her first ballet recital is in her top three all time favorite toys. She walks around humming The Imperial March like it's the soundtrack for her life. No joke. It's actually a touch scary, like those kids who sleep with their eyes open. Thanks to the influences of her uncle, she already has her eyes set on Boba Fett for her birthday.

Ordinarily this would be no problem, except it's starting to be a problem.

I'm clueless when it comes to Star Wars. I didn't actually know who Boba Fett was until a few moments ago when I googled him. Apparently he's just as dark and villainous as Vader. We check out Star Wars books from the library and I'm expected to read them. Except they seem to be written in a language I'm not privy to. I butcher name after name and have to endure my dear husband shouting in corrections from the other room. When playing, K will tell me the rules of the game and I'm supposed to play Han Solo or Luke Skywalker, yet I have no idea who they are nor the difference between them.

So I'm faced with a dilemma, do I watch the movies in order to educate myself on my daughter's passion or pass the buck to her father and uncle and politely concede defeat?

My dear husband is in favor of me watching the movies but he has his own weird experimental agenda where that's concerned. He wants me to watch the movies in chronological order, not in order of release. I personally feel I've made it to 31 without watching them, why start now.

But then, there's K. Is it my job as her mother to know who old Ben Kenobi is?


For the record, K has never watched the movies. And from the violence in the clips we've watched on YouTube, she won't be watching them any time soon either.

3 comments:

  1. I opt for a compromise: watch the original Star Wars movie. After watching the whole thing I'd think you'd have enough knowledge to pretend to be Hans Solo, etc when K wants you to play. After you watch the movie, if you are intrigued and generally enjoyed the movie then there are plenty more to watch after that one. If you were bored or have no desire to ever see another one, well you've done enough to feel like a mother that understands her daughter's latest phase. Wasn't life so much simpler when the phase was little craft pom-pom balls? ~klw

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I long for those days of itty bitty little hands filled with red and green and blue pom-poms.

      Delete
  2. I think you should watch them (in chronological order). Probably easier than reading through all the wikipedia entries on it.Plus, honestly they're really not that bad. I'm not a big Star Wars fan but I think I've seen all the movies, maybe not some of the older ones but I know enough of the story to nod at the right places when my son talks about =)

    ReplyDelete